|Aspiring:||mathematician, composer, photographer, fiddler|
|email:||surname at math dot jhu dot edu|
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627, USA
Interests: Topology & Algebraic Geometry, Geometric Methods in Generative Music Composition.
Biographics: CV, photo.
Blog: How to Recognize Generators for String Bordism, After Laocoön [or Before?], Binomial Coefficients & Villainy, Seminar Web Design, Comments on a Paper of Karcher, Noah in Norwich, Computing Hirzebruch L-Polynomials, Catullus of the Canopy, Dürer’s Melencolia I, Existential Angst, How to Optimize a Codex, … (RSS)
In Medias Res,
The Lyre of Ur,
Ripples Through Pitch Space,
Portrait of Poincaré,
- Shrinking the Fibers of a Submersion Splits the Riemann Tensor, preprint.
- tmf Is Not a Ring Spectrum Quotient of String Bordism, preprint.
- A New Approach to Euler Calculus for Continuous Integrands, in preparation.
- The Cayley Plane and String Bordism, Geometry & Topology 18-4 (2014), 2045–2078.
- The Cayley plane and the Witten genus, preprint.
- Stiefel-Whitney Numbers for Singular Varieties, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 150 (2011), 273–289.
- Stratified Morse Theory, unpublished expository essay written for Part III of the Cambridge Tripos, 2005.
- The Organization of Intrinsic Computation: Complexity-Entropy Diagrams and the Diversity of Natural Information Processing, with DP Feldman and JP Crutchfield, Chaos 18(4), Dec 2008, 59–73.
- Automated Pattern Detection—An Algorithm for Constructing Optimally Synchronizing Multi-Regular Language Filters, with JP Crutchfield, Theoretical Computer Science 359 (2006), 306–328.
- New Applications of Differential Geometry to Big Data, 2014 Topology Seminar, Edinburgh.
- A New Approach to Euler Calculus for Continuous Integrands, 2012 ATMCS 5, Edinburgh.
- How Twisted Is Infinity?, 2007 McMenemy Seminar, Trinity Hall Cambridge.
- Characteristic, Signature, and Singularity, 2006 Fulbright Seminar, Berlin.
- Music Through Computation, invited keynote speech at IMS2003, Imperial College London.
Teaching: Knot Theory, Honors Analysis, Honors Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra.
Miscellanea: Signature Optimizer for Bookbinding, Topological Methods in Algebraic Advertising, Blow-up, Escaping the Flood of Time, Egon’s Twinkie, A Much Deserved Pie in the Face.
Solo jigs, reels, and more reels (live).
Duo reels and jigs with uilleann piper Tim Benson (studio).
Inspiration: Jack Morava, Burt Totaro, Conlon Nancarrow.